DECATUR ELDERLY DRIVER ACCIDENT ATTORNEY
We can help you in Madison, Morgan, Lawrence and Limestone Counties and the surrounding areas.
Getting older doesn’t necessarily make you a bad driver. It is estimated that 10,000 more people will turn 65-years of age every day over the next thirteen years. According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there are now more than 40 million licensed drivers over the age of 65 on the road, and that number is expected to continue to rise in the coming years. Older drivers get into accidents at similar rates as middle-aged drivers, and less often than young drivers. Drivers between the ages of 65 and 79 get into accidents at about the same rate as drivers between the ages of 30 and 49. These drivers, while experienced, are at high risk for auto accidents. Driving helps older adults stay active and independent, but as you age, the risk of being involved in an accident increases. For many senior citizens, driving can be a challenge due to natural declines in vision and reaction time that can contribute to mistakes on the road.
If you have been involved in a car accident in the North Alabama area with an elderly driver, we can help. At Ferguson & Ferguson, we are committed to representing clients who have been injured in car accidents. We can help if you are an elderly driver injured by someone else, or a driver injured by an elderly driver. If you are injured in a collision, please feel free to call one of our car accident attorneys today. We offer a free, no obligation, confidential consultation to discuss your case. Call (256)534-3435 now.
- 16% of all traffic fatalities were among people aged 65 years and older.
- Most of these fatalities occurred during the daytime (81%), on weekdays (71%) and involved other vehicles (69%).
- Older drivers involved in fatal car accidents had the lowest alcohol concentrations of any age group.
- In 2012, 5,894 people were killed in car wrecks that involved a driver over the age of 65, according to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Reasons Elderly Drivers Cause Car Accidents
The common causes of elderly driving accidents include:
- Vision issues like cataracts, glaucoma, diabetes complications, age-related macular degeneration
- Mobility issues like arthritis, muscle weakness, diabetes complications, or Multiple Sclerosis
- Reduced cognitive functioning due to dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, or depression
- Driving through a red light or stop sign
- Driving far below the speed limit
- Braking unexpectedly
- Misjudging distances
- Driving the wrong way on roads
- Failing to yield at intersections
- Making improper left turns
- Driving at dusk, dawn, or nighttime
- Delayed response time
- Declining hearing
- Making an unsafe lane change
Car Accident Injuries
Some of the most common examples of car accident injuries that our Huntsville car accident lawyers see include:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Leg injuries, including hip, knee and ankle injuries
- Torn muscles and ligaments
- Severe nerve damage
- Soft tissue damage, such as whiplash
- Back injuries, including spinal cord damage and paralysis
- Internal organ injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Concussions and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Severe psychological trauma
Damages You Can Recover
At Ferguson & Ferguson, we have the experience needed to help you recover the following:
- Damage to your automobile
- Ambulance, er phys., radiology and hospital bills
- Incidental economic damages
- Therapy bills
- Costs related to rehabilitation
- Long-term disability
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Mental distress
- Loss of limb
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of life enjoyment
- Wrongful death
When The Elderly Driver Is The Victim
Our Alabama car accident lawyers have represented and successfully fought for the elderly for over 25 years. The Huntsville auto accident attorneys at Ferguson & Ferguson understand the issues when an elderly person is seriously injured or killed in a car accident. If your family is dealing with a car accident involving an older loved one, then you need to contact Ferguson & Ferguson. We understand the unique challenges that older drivers face following a serious crash. Free phone, office or hospital consultations.
When The Elderly Driver Is At Fault
For those who are injured by a negligent senior driver, having an experienced auto injury attorney on their side can help ensure that they get the compensation they deserve. At Ferguson & Ferguson, our Huntsville and Decatur car accident attorneys have extensive experience representing people injured by elderly drivers.
Why Choose Ferguson & Ferguson
To learn more about what our legal team can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us today to schedule your free no obligation consultation. We represent car accidents victims throughout Alabama. If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident involving an older driver, or if a loved one has died of injuries sustained in such an accident, contact Us today. Call 256-534-3435. Initial consultations are free so it won’t cost you anything to get your questions answered.